What would Ste. Genevieve history be without Kaskaskia? In the early 18th century Kaskaskia was a fur trading and farming community that supplied lower Louisiana with flour, meat, and bear oil which could be had in abundance in Illinois. In return, New Orleans supplied necessities as well as luxuries to be brought back. At [...]
The Old Plank Road traveled from Ste. Genevieve city to Iron Mountain (in St. Francois County) and still exists today. In the city of Ste. Genevieve, it was Merchant Street, then from there to Farmington, it was what is now Highway 32. Construction began on August 20, 1851 and the Plank Road was 42 miles [...]
Quickfacts: Telephone exchange: 883-xxxx Zip code: 63670 (Ste. Genevieve) Township: Saline "Historical Place" Ste. Genevieve Herald, Nov 13, 2002 100 Years Ago – 1902 The Post Office at Pickle, this county about seven miles east of Farmington, which had been discontinued some time ago, is re-established with Phylander S. Loker, P.M
Quickfacts: Telephone exchange: 883-xxxx Zip code: 63645 (Fredericktown) Township: Saline J. W. Moore & Co. General Merchandise Store & Post Office – photos and information, external link Silver Point Union Church Silver Point Church, founded in 1876, is located on the southwestern edge of Ste. Genevieve County on Highway T. A log building at [...]
Quickfacts: Telephone exchange: 883-xxxx Zip code: 63670 (Ste. Genevieve) Township: Saline Quicklinks: History St. Catherine’s Parish Pine Log Church History: In 1881, when the town of Coffman was laid out in lots and blocks, railroad tracks were laid down by the Western Railroad Company, through Coffman. Coffman even had a railroad depot! However, by the [...]
Quickfacts: Township: Saline Previously known as: Ulam Located on Route WW southeast of Coffman Quicklinks: History Maps History Clearwater is located on Highway WW in southwest Ste. Genevieve County. Jim Nations built a small store that provided necessities for the people in the community. When the Nations got the post office, they enlarged the [...]
Quickfacts: Telephone exchange: 883-xxxx Zip code: 63670 (Ste. Genevieve) Township: Beauvais Previously Known as: Staabtown Aux Vases in French means "with the muds" Quicklinks: History – in progress St. Philip & St. James Parish History River Aux Vases was established in the early 1800's and was known as "the French Village." Early residents included families [...]
Quickfacts: Telephone exchange: 543-xxxx Zip code: 63673 Township: Beauvais The Ste. Genevieve Herald September 24, 2003 Ste. Genevieve Marble Used in Renovation of National Archive Display By Jean Feld Rissover Page 3 Some of the nation’s most revered documents are on display at the National Archives building in Washington D.C., and so is one [...]
Quickfacts: Telephone exchange: 543-xxxx Zip code: 63673 Township: Beauvais Namesake: Ezekiel 27:17 & Judges 11:33 – meaning "land of wheat" Quicklinks: History Newspaper Clippings Minnith History Minnith is a small farming community located in the southeast corner of Ste. Genevieve County, ten miles southwest of St. Mary’s. The name Minnith, the old timers tell [...]READ MORE ...
Quickfacts: Telephone exchange: 543-xxxx Zip code: 63673 Township: Beauvais Population: 377 Previously Known as: Saint Marie’s Landing, St. Mary’s Landing, St. Mary’s (or St. Marys), Iron Mountain City, Yankeetown, Camp Rowdy Quicklinks: History St. Mary’s United Methodist Church Immaculate Conception Catholic Church & Cemetery Trinity Baptist Church History of St. Mary In early references the [...]
La Petite Rocher Quickfacts: known as a “historical place” (not incorporated) alternate name: Little Rock or Little Rock Landing was apparently a rail station for the St. Louis to Memphis line, in between White Sand and Ste. Genevieve Quicklinks: History (including images) Maps Various Newspaper Articles History: Originally, the name to this landing on [...]
Quickfacts: Telephone exchange: 883-xxxx Zip code: 63670 (63661 acceptable, PO Box only) Township: Ste. Genevieve Namesake: according to a translator, Offenburg is German for "Open Castle" Was settled by 1840…. New Offenburg First Baptist Church On March 14, 1959, after a religious survey of the New Offenburg community, the Chestnut Ridge Baptist Church, with [...]
Nouvelle Bourbon History: New Bourbon was established in 1793 and was located about two miles south of the city of Ste. Genevieve. It was created to be a special settlement for French Royalist families living in exile. In command was Pierre Charles DeHault Delassus de Luziere, who was of nobility. Jean Rene Guiho, Lord [...]
Quickfacts: Telephone exchange: 883-xxxx Zip code: 63670 (Ste. Genevieve) Township: Ste. Genevieve Population: 614 Location: Highway A & Zell Rd Quicklinks: History of the Zell area The Church: St. Joseph’s Catholic The Cemetery: St. Joseph’s Catholic Church History Zell was first settled in 1798 when 1000 arpents [a French measurement of land, similar to [...]
Township: Ste. Genevieve Namesake: Weingarten is German for exactly what it sounds like: Wine Garden History of Weingarten According to an “unknown source” Some of the early Germans settled in Ste. Genevieve by the 1830′s and 1840′s. More emigrants made their way up the Mississippi and started their way west, including many German farmers who [...]
Viva La Ste. Genevieve! above: Main Street, Ste. Genevieve, MO For more information on events, attractions, places to eat & stay, etc. Please see the "Visiting" link on the left menu. Or to schedule a group tour, call the Great River Road Interpretive Center (Ste. Genevieve Tourist Info) at 573.883.7097.
The information age Telephone numbers, 1900 A view down Main Street, about 1908 Ste. Genevieve Telephone Numbers, July 21, 1900 From the Ste. Genevieve Fair Play. TELEPHONE SYSTEM. ———- Ste. Genevieve Directory Arranged Alphabetically–Call By Number. 48. Andre Dr. V. J. 13. Biel C. H. & Co. 26. Boverie Mercantile Co. 11. Boverie John, [...]
Missouri becomes a state Politicians & Laws The War of 1812 and the Civil War – as told by Firmin A. Rozier – moved to the Wartime section More on the Civil War – moved to the Wartime section Holy Cross Lutheran Church A Closing from Firmin A. Rozier Missouri Becomes a State In 1805, [...]
From the Louisiana Purchase to the turn-of-the-century From France to Spain to France to America Ste. Genevieve Schools The Catholic Church of Ste. Genevieve Then continued in Part II. Return to France, then to America We’ve all heard it a million times in our history classes. But for repetition’s sake, let’s mention that in [...]
Le vieux village de Ste. Genevieve Quickfacts: Telephone exchange: 883-xxxx Zip code: 63670 Township: Ste. Genevieve Population: 4,476 Quicklinks: Our Namesake Pre-History – in a nutshell The Founders The Founding Early Living Some "Firsts" The First Church First Military Actions Flood!!! Ste. Genevieve in the Revolutionary War – information now moved to the "Wartime" section. [...]READ MORE ...
Quickfacts: Telephone exchange: 483-xxxx Township: Jackson Previously known as Punjaub Namesake: founders Henry and Charles Lawrence History As the early settlers came through the region northwest of Ste. Genevieve on their way to the mining region near Bonne Terre, MO, they often passed through the small beautiful valley west of Bloomsdale. The beauty of this [...]
Quickfacts: Telephone Exchange: 483-xxxx Zip code: 63670 Township: Jackson Located on Kinsey Rd south of Route DD Quicklinks: History Kinsey Mission Jackson School Maps Kinsey Mission The mission church in Kinsey was located off K Road in northern Ste. Genevieve County. The town of Kinsey was named for William M. Kinsey, Congressman from 1889-1891, 51st [...]
Quickfacts: Population: 419 (or 506?) Telephone exchange: 483-xxxx Zip code: 63627 Township: Jackson Name Origin: Father Blume Previously known as: La Fourche a Duclos Quicklinks: History (some history items located under St. Agnes Parish as well) Historical Places St. Agnes Parish & Cemetery History 1880 – The area was called Colonel Valle’s farm and [...]
Quickfacts: Township: Jackson Also known as Brickeys Landing Quicklinks: History Other Buildings & Businesses Newspaper Articles Maps History: John Compton Brickey, the founder of the Brickeys area, arrived in 1837 at age 21. He purchased, from Toussant Lakier and Henry Bequette, 83 acres; later purchasing another 40 from the United States government. He set [...]