This letter is not an indictment of any of the owners of the properties mentioned in this letter, or of the Landmarks Commission. Rather, this is an observation by the signers of this letter. It is meant to provoke some thought and discussion, as the people involved might not realize how this whole situation appears [...]
Hotel Ste. Genevieve is located on the corner of Merchant and Main Streets in the heart of historical Ste. Genevieve and sports several hotel rooms, meeting rooms, and restaurant/lounge. More information to come soon. Hotel Sainte Genevieve 9 North Main Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670 (573) 883-3562 (877) 272-2588
This house is located on S. Gabouri Street, right next to the old Thomure place near the Railroad tracks. The following are just some images I took on June 23, 2005.
By Michael Boyd Jr. The Ste. Genevieve Herald April 28, 2004; page 5 The last of the deteriorated, vintage junk cars was hauled away last Friday from a downtown junkyard that has become a landmark in the City of Ste. Genevieve. Completion of the job paves the way for future restoration activities at the 19th [...]
The Ste. Genevieve Herald Wed., April 14, 2004 By Jean Feld Rissover Two of the last few properties bought out following major flooding in Ste. Genevieve have been purchased by private individuals and are being renovated. The properties were among four flood-prone buildings considered to be of historic significance that were purchased by the state [...]
Located at Market & Main Sts The earliest part of the building was constructed in 1819 by Jean Baptiste Bossier as a store-house for his mercantile business. Today, it serves as the Great River Road Interpretive Center.
The following taken with permission from http://www.mainstreetinnbb.com/delcom.htm Built by Louis DelCommune sometime between 1820 and 1850. It is a log and heavy timber cabin on what is now the corner of LaHaye and LaPorte. Shortly after building, the cabin (built on a substantial limestone foundation) was enlarged to include another room in the rear and [...]
The Amoureux house was built ca. 1792 by Jean Baptiste St. Gemme Beauvais overlooking le grand champ, the agricultural fields of Ste. Genevieve. Its upright cedar log walls are set directly in the earth, in the rare poteaux-en-terre method of construction. Heavy, hewn timbers form the Norman truss which supports the steeply-pitched roof, reminiscent of [...]
This house was built in 1820 by grandson-in-law of Louis Bolduc. The brace frame structure with brick nogging is an interesting example of combined French and American influences on local architecture. Accurately restored and furnished with fine examples of early Federal pieces. Vintage herb and scented gardens of the early 19th century complement the house. [...]
The Bolduc house, a National Historic Landmark, was built in the 1770′s by Vital Beauvais on Le Grand Champ, and was moved to its present site after the 1785 flood (and then added to). It is regarded as the first, most authentically restored Creole house in the nation. It has earned the respect of architectural [...]
This house built in 1818, was the home of Felix and Odile Pratte Valle, members of Ste. Genevieve’s premier colonial families. This important Federal-style limestone building features the authentically restocked mercantile store of the historic trading firm of Menard & Valle. The family’s living quarters display beautiful early Empire furnishings with original mantels and interior [...]
The Maison Guibourd-Valle house was built about 1785 by a pioneer French settler. Handsomely restored, it is the most elegantly furnished museum house in town. The attic with Norman truss and hand-hewn oak beams secured by wooden pegs features changing exhibits and dried herb display. Beautiful courtyard and rose garden contain an old stone well. [...]
The museum contains varied collections of local memorabilia. items of interest include: prehistoric and historic Indian relics, old documents and Spanish land grants, artifacts from Missouri’s first industry, the Saline Creek Salt Works. Scale model of the Mississippi River Railroad Transfer Boat "The Ste. Genevieve." Open daily: 9am-11am & 12pm-4pm (April to November) and 12pm-4pm [...]
More info as well as pictures of these will follow in other articles/pages, but for now, here is a growing list. City of Ste. Genevieve: Joseph Millard, 1805 – private Vital St. Gemme – private – built about 1798 Pierre Dorlac – private – built about 1790 Bequette-Ribeau – private – built about 1778 by [...]