The Old Plank Road
traveled from Ste. Genevieve city to Iron Mountain (in St. Francois
County) and still exists today. In the city of Ste. Genevieve,
it was Merchant Street, then from there to Farmington, it was what
is now Highway 32. Construction began on August 20, 1851
and the Plank Road was 42 miles in length.
Over this plank road, for a few years, an immense business
was carried on in lead, iron, cobalt, nickel, marble and granite,
and agricultural products of all kinds. And as early as
1850, right-of-way was already being bought for the road. The
farmers were given deeds to use the road free for carrying farm
products to and from Ste. Genevieve.
The first telegraphic line in Missouri
connected Nashville to St. Louis, passed through Ste. Genevieve, and
was established in the year 1850, but afterwards discontinued.
At this period nothing seemed so wonderful and miraculous, to
witness the flashes of intelligence flying with the rapidity of
lightning, through the first town of Upper Louisiana.
It was when the road to St. Louis
from Iron Mountain was finally finished that the little town of Ste.
Genevieve was bi-passed entirely.
122 Years with the Ste.
May 14, 2003
100 Years Ago – 1903
Posts are being set along the Plank Road for a Bell Telephone
line from here to Farmington. Still more improvements.
March 31, 2004
100 Years Ago – 1904
On June 1st passenger trains were put on the Frisco between
Memphis and St. Louis. The trains pass here daily, running
north and south.