- Missouri becomes a state
- Politicians & Laws
- The War of 1812 and the Civil War – as told by Firmin A. Rozier – moved to the Wartime section
- More on the Civil War – moved to the Wartime section
- Holy Cross Lutheran Church
- A Closing from Firmin A. Rozier
Missouri Becomes a State
In 1805, the area people petitioned for territory borders, appointment of officers (who would live nearby), records to be in both English and French, and funds for school establishment and upkeep. So, in July of 1807, Merriwether Lewis came as the first governor of Missouri. The territory of Missouri was officially formed. It looked much like what the state does today, if only you would cut off the boot heel and the northwestern corner. The borders of today’s state were not finalized until 1832 when Senator Linn worked to get the Platte Territory (northwestern corner) included in Missouri. The act of 1812, changed the name of Territory to the Territory of Missouri, also providing for the General Assembly.
Missouri officially became a state in 1821, the “Show Me” State. Missouri gets its name from a tribe of Sioux Indians of the state called the Missouris; the Smithsonian Institution Bureau of American Ethnology has stated it [Missouri] means “town of the large canoes,” and authorities have said the Indian syllables from which the word comes mean “wooden canoe people” or “he of the big canoe.”
Missouri was allowed to become a state by the “Missouri Compromise” which made provisions for Missouri to be a slave state and Maine to enter as a free state. All other parts north in the Louisiana Territory were to be designated as “free.” Missouri adopted her first constitution on July 19, 1820; her second constitution was adopted in 1865, which also had a clause keeping Confederate sympathizers from voting and holding certain occupations. Missouri adopted yet her third constitution on October 30, 1875.
The area of the Ste. Geneveive district, by this time, was of course reduced to its current size. The Saline township was subdivided and by 1834 we had our current townships: Jackson, Ste. Genevieve, Saline, Union, and Beauvais.
Ste. Genevieve County, 1823; not much detail is there?
- State Senators (1822-1872)
- Joseph Bogy, Sr., 1822
- Lewis F. Linn, 1830 (see also)
- Charles C. Valle, 1834
- Conrad C. Ziegler, 1854
- Firmin A. Rozier, 1872
- “Lower House” (1822-1884)
- A. G. Bird, 1822
- Peter Dagget, 1824
- Beverly Allen, 1826
- John S. Barret, 1828 (also our enumerator for the 1840 census)
- Robt. Moore, 1830
- Joseph Bogy Sr., 1832
- Clement Detchmendy, 1834-36
- Allen Holloman, 1838
- Thomas M. Horine, 1840
- Joseph Coffman, 1842
- Robt. J. Boas, 1844
- Jeremiah Robinson, 1846
- Johnson B. Clardy, 1848
- Jesse B. Robbins, 1850
- Sifroid Rousfin, 1852
- Lewis V. Bogy, 1854 (biography)
- Firmin A. Rozier, 1856
- Bobert J. Boas, 1858
- John C. Watkins, 1860
- David C. Tuttle, 1862
- Geo Bond, 1864
- Jos. Bogy Jr., 1868
- Antoine Beltrami, 1870
- Robt. J. Madison, 1872
- Wm Cox, 1874
- Jasper N. Burks, 1876
- Wm Cox, 1878
- L. S. Patterson, 1880
- T. P. Boyer, 1884
- Judges of Circuit Court (1820-1879)
- Richard S. Thomas, 1820
- John D. Cook, 1825
- Wm. Scott, 1835
- Henry Schurids, 1837
- James Evans, 1837
- David Sterigere, 1829
- John H. Stone, 1844
- James W. Owens, 1863
- William Carter, 1864
- John B. Robinson, 1874
- W. N. Nalie, 1878
- John H. Nicholson, 1879
- James D. Fox, 1880-85
- Clerks of the Court (no dates)
- Thomas Oliver
- Joe D. Grafton
- Jesse B. Robbins
- John N. Littlejohn
- Charles C. Rozier
- John L. Bogy
- Joseph Beauman
- Jules Guyon
- Sheriffs (1820-1879)
- Henry Dodge
- Francis Valle
- John S. Barret
- John Bapt. Vital St. Gemme
- Eloy Lecompt
- Emanuel Pratte
- Wm Adams
- Jesse B. Robbins
- Robert J. Boas
- William C. Warner
- Francis I. Moreau
- Jacob Boas
- George D. Scott
- Andrew Anderson
- Robert J. Madison
- Joseph Huck
- James J. Wilson
- Louis Norman
- Leon Yokeest
In 1827, when Ferdinand Rozier was mayor and Joseph D. Grafton was city clerk, some ordinances that they set forth were:
—The constable was empowered to ask any resident for help with something; if the resident refused, he/she was fined $2
—Any show, exhibit, or other amusement had to get a license of $5 to $25 (the final amount being the discretion of the chairman
—Slaves had to have permission in writing before having a meeting of over five persons
Roads were also always a concern of the Ste. Genevieve officials and they even once passed an ordinance (1870’s) against narrow wagon wheels (they caused great ruts in the roads). The city also offered in the 1870’s to give free rock to residents to be used to repair gutters. Another road concern was that of the common practice of the last man on the street to fence in the street with his property! More than once the city had to make a resident move his fence to extend the roads. Residents in the city limits of Ste. Genevieve were required in the 1870’s to, of their own expense, provide sidewalks in front of their properties – to be on both sides of the street on all roads.
In July of 1888, the city of Ste. Genevieve erected light posts on street corners, asking for bids for a lamp lighter. Some of the bids they received:
—Leon Herzog Jr. – 90¢ per lamp
—George Oil – 95¢
—J. Laulimondier – $1.20
—L. Bert Valle – $1.25
—Louis Sennerick – $1.35
—Charles Doerge – $1.759
You can guess who got the job!!
Salaries of officials during the 1880’s:
- Mayor – Charles C. Rozier – $100/yr
- City Attorney – Edward Rozier – $50
- Treasurer – Francis L. Jokerst – $50
- Clerk – Jules B. Guignon – $100
- Street Commississioner – Anton Samson – $25
- Aldermen – John S. Whitlock, Killian Grieshaber, Emile C. Lelie, Christian Baum, Louis Nauman, George Beckerman – $20/yr each
Disease control was another big concern of the people of Ste. Genevieve. Citizens were told to keep their property clean, including the gutters in front of their properties. If someone came down with smallpox, that person was quarantined in a special house and the city paid someone to take them food and water. There was a smallpox outbreak in Memphis in the 1830’s and during that time, no boats from Memphis (or who had stopped there) were allowed to stop or unload anything or anyone in Ste. Genevieve.
In October of 1873, the streets of Ste. Genevieve were renamed:
|Before 1873||After 1873|
Little Rock St
Court House St
Liberty St (now LeCompte)
Holy Cross Lutheran Church
The recorded history of Holy Cross begins soon after the Civil War, when, on January 16, 1867, the trustees of the new congregation purchased the present church property from Francis A. and Louise Kempf for $660. For a small group of meager means this was a sheer act of faith. On January 17, the trustees signed a promissory note for $330.00 payable to Mr. Kempf.
The congregation was incorporated in the Ste. Genevieve County Circuit Court on May 11, 1867, under the name, “The German Lutheran Evangelical Church.” Trustees at the time were: Christian Luecke, Henry Wilder, Christian Baum, Phillip Medart, Henry Grobe, George Sexauer, Augustus Wilder, and Charles Weiss. Other charter members who signed the congregation’s original constitution on April 30, 1867 are: Henry Herter, Christopher Peterson, Henry Schramm, J. Jacob Schuler, Jacob Kruse, Christian Naumann, Frederick Petrequin, John Baumgartner, and Christian Naumann.
Work on the new church began in early Spring, 1867. The cornerstone was laid October 21, 1867, and the collection that day totaled $34.60. The building was roughly finished and occupied in 1869, but it was not until 1875 that all the finishing touches were added. Thus, it is the oldest church building still in use in Ste. Genevieve today.
The first resident pastor, the Rev. Otto F. Voigt, was installed July, 1869. When he left in 1871, the congregation called Johann Siegmund L. Deffner as a teacher in the Fall of the same year. Mr. Deffner assumed many pastoral duties. Neighboring pastors came about once a month to hold services and perform official acts. In looking back to see the school years from 1869 to 1890, these were the best years the congregation would see for some time. The congregation was small, but growing. Holy Cross did not have a resident leader again until 1919.
The years between 1900 and 1930 were long and lean ones. The congregation was served by a number of neighboring pastors and students from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, MO
In 1929, the members were confronted with a decision either to disband or ask the Mission Board of the Western District of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod for assistance. The members decided to continue, and the Mission Board sent the Rev. Ernest A. Brockmann to serve them. He was installed as the second resident pastor on September 8, 1929. Under his leadership, the congregation experienced a new birth.
The Rev. Roger Frobe became the sixth resident pastor in 1964. A church centennial celebration was held in 1967 under his direction.
The present pastor, the Rev. Richard Thur, was installed in 1983 as the ninth pastor of Holy Cross. Due to increased numbers in worship and Bible classes, a second service was initiated in 1985. There are also plans to enlarge the sanctuary and add a narthex and educational building.
Present members of Holy Cross who are descendants of the early charter members are: Clara Weiss, Wayne Baumgartner, and Welton Grobe.
Holy Cross Lutheran Church building is 120 years old. It is recorded in the Landmarks Register, which was set up in 1971 in the National Park Service of the U.S. Department of Labor.11
—notes about this source—
Ste. Genevieve County, 1895
A Closing by Firmin A. Rozier in 1885
The people of Ste. Genevieve, exactly since a century and a half, have lived under four different governments without encountering great disasters or bloody wars, in such remarkable changes, which are generally accompanied with great disorders and misfortunes. They first lived and were subjects of the great French nation to the year 1769; secondly they fell under the jurisdiction and dominion of Spain until 1800; again under the Napoleon dynasty, until 1804; and lastly, and thank God, under the flag of the United States of America, from the last period to the present time, and to be hoped for all future time.
1. General Knowledge
2. A Tour of Old Ste Genevieve, by Lucille Basler, 1975; published by Wehmeyer Printing Co, Inc, Ste. Genevieve, MO
3. The Master Plan for Restoration of Ste. Genevieve, MO; Economic Development Administration Technical Service Project, U.S. Department of Commerce, Allied Engineers & Architects, 1966
4. The Story of Old Ste. Genevieve: An Account of An Old French Town in Upper Louisiana, Its People and Their Homes; by Gregory M. Franzwa, 1987 (4th ed), The Patrice Press, St. Louis, MO
5. 150th Celebration of the Founding of Ste. Genevieve; Address of Hon. Firmin A. Rozier, Historian and Orator. Delivered at the City of Ste. Genevieve. July 21, 1883. Published by G.A. Pierrot, St. Louis, MO.
6. “History of J. Felix St. James G.A.R. Post No. 326, 1887-1925.” Veteran’s and Events in the Civil War in Southeast Missouri, Vol III. Bob Schmidt, 2002.
7. Early Ste. Genevieve and its Architecture, Charles E. Peterson; Reprinted from The Missouri Historical Review Vol XXXV No 2, January 1941
8. Church of Ste. Genevieve; Msgr James Holland (pastor at printing), Wehmeyer Printing Co, Inc, Ste. Genevieve, MO
9. The District of Ste. Genevieve, 1725-1980; Lucille Basler
10. Glen, his words (info from The Civil War Almanac published by World Almanac Publications in 1983; 5th edition) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CSAFAD/